Sunday, February 17, 2008

The Excitement of Cover Letters

I recently wrote a cover letter for an internship I was applying for, so this advice makes sense to me. I focused by letter not just on my accomplishments, but also on how my skills would benefit the company. The advice here is big on selling how you can help the company, and I think that can be hard to do sometimes. While you should know about what you are applying for, you might not know exactly what job you will be doing within the company. Saying that your work ethic will benefit the company sounds contrived to me, but if you know specifics about where you can impact directly it will work better. I think that making it personal is important, and knowing who you are talking to is smart. I imagine there will be times when I apply for something when I won't be able to find this out, but saying "To Whom it May Concern" doesn't show any interest. The advice that I need to take most from this article is about really following up the cover letter. In my letter, I gave all of my relevant contact information and asked them to contact me when they returned from the holidays. I did not tell them that I would follow-up if they failed to contact me, and I ended up waiting around for an email. Finally, I sent a follow-up email, but I should have shown more interest and initiative by writing in the letter when I would check back with the company. I think most of the information will come in handy when I do my cover letter for my mock interview in class. I am going to change it a little because I am interviewing for law school and not a job. For the law school applications, you send them a two-page personal statement that is supposed to be about you personally. A way to show them another side of you different from your resume. These are different tools, but they do share some common aspects.

No comments: