Monday, April 14, 2008

Ethics

I had some Internet problems on Sunday, so I'm posting this Monday after my classes.

The article was based on a survey that investigated ethical lapses in the workplace. When I read the article the first thing that I thought about was whether or not I have experienced any ethical lapses in my jobs and how they were handled. One instance came to mind, and like the research showed, I went to my superior for help. I can understand how some people would be worried about how their boss would handle the situation, but I was OK because I have a good relationship with my boss. I think that it is important to judge the situation carefully. If it is a small problem, then you should try to take care of it yourself. However, when the situation is serious or involves your superiors, you must go up the ladder for help. I believe that your supervisor would rather help you than have a situation snowball because he wasn't informed. The ethical lapse that I witnessed did not really distract me from my work. I realized that what I had seen was questionable, but it was also something above my head. The best thing bosses can do is make themselves approachable so that their employees will come to them when they see something they question.

No comments: